Thursday 7 July 2016

Newspaper Coiled Tray

Hey guys
I am back again with a new project. Its a newspaper tray which is made from newspaper tubes by using the coiling technique. Its a very close to heart project I made and I feel very happy for the way it turned out to be.
If you wish to make this tray you will need 11 rectangular coiled pieces. You can use a reference cardboard piece for coiling around it. I have coiled around a 1"x 1/2"rectangular piece to obtain even pieces. I have made each coil using 4 tubes, but then again this may vary according to the size of your tubes. Once all your pieces are ready, join then together in a pattern of 4 pieces for 2 sides and 3 pieces for 2 sides. Then join them together to get a rectangular frame.You will need thinner ans smaller newspaper tubes for this purpose and I make them from 1/4 sheet of 1 newspaper page.

For the base, you need to coil 12 cicular pieces like in picture and join then all together to obtauin the base. The cicular coiled pieces should have the diameter equal to the lenght of the rectangular pieces you coiled earlier.

Once ready, join the base to the sides and your basket should be ready. I went ahead and added a fews more paper coils on top of the baset edge so get a more even surface.

On this I coiled and attached the handles. They are of the same size as the rectangular coiled pieces.

So that should give you your basket. I have painted my basket with acrylic colors in red and orange. Then I went ahead and added some detailing using fevicryl 3d outliner in black.. Once it was dry, I gave it 2 coats of varnish. I have used Asian Paints Aquadur exterior.

Thank you for reading my post and keep upcycling.

2 comments:

  1. This is jaw-dropping gorgeous!! Wow!! I am in awe of the things you can do with newspaper!! The colors are stunning!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete